Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sickness prevails, what's a girl to do

I hate being sick and going to the grocery store and being *that* person. You know, the sick girl with her grubby sweatshirt and ponytail, unshowered and sweaty, with a laundry list of stuff to buy. Mine today included:

* Mucinex
* Yogi Thoat Comfort tea
* 1 lemon
* cough drops
* super orange Emergen-C
* cadbury cream eggs (you know for a sugar boost)
* New Moon reserved at the redbox

Yes, I am that girl. I also hate how the person checking me out is just looking at me in disdain thinking, "yuck, don't touch me. I see that Mucinex in your cart."


Luckily I have a wonderful boyfriend who also took me out for Pho (delicious anytime, HEAVENLY when you have a cold), then stopped by the library so I could pick up some books on hold. So now I'm in bed, computer in my lap, tea full of lemon and honey next to me, and a stack of books on the table beside me. About as content as I could be with a sore throat and a cough that is making me wince, it hurts so much. Do any of you have sick time rituals? Mine normally included noodles, Gilmore Girls and vicks vapor rub.

Also, any advice on on how to relive really deep chest pain and a sore throat? I'll take any tips! C'mon moms, nurse me!

6 comments:

andrea jean said...

Aw, I hope you're feeling better soon! My old "sick day" ritual was watching Clueless. And when I was littler, my mom used to give me Ritz crackers with peanut butter & jelly :)

Jen said...

Thanks Andrea. I probably could quote the entire movie of Clueless to you off the top of my head. It is one of my all time favorite guilty pleasure movies. I think it was one of the first movies that I saw in the theater by myself. (aka sans parents, but probably with a gaggle of girl friends) I think I was in 8th grade.

Memories. I have tomorrow off and that just might make it into my DVD player.

Green Stone said...

I usually gargle a shot of hard liquor (gin works best) for a sore throat, then spend the day swigging from a bottle of cough syrup since my colds tend to navigate into my decrepit asthmatic lungs.

I'm not that kind of myself when I'm recuperating.

Sadako said...

I do a similar thing. I take a LOT of Vitamin C (in tablet form and OJ and whatever fruit is around). And NyQuil. Man, I love that stuff.

Though to be honest, I've never really had serious chest pain or throat issues. If I take the Vit-C within a day of symptoms the cold never really takes off...

Feel better, though.

Anonymous said...

You know what they say: "True love is the best thing in the world, except for cough drops. "

Truth.

Sadako said...

Hope all that stuff worked! *Hugs*