Friday, December 18, 2009

remember when girls rocked?

Girls used to rock. There were so many awesome ladies in the 90's, and I'm not talking Lilith Fair (although I did own a fair amount of those girls). I'm talking serious kick ass grungy, rock'n rollers. Some of my favorite ladies, who definitely influenced me growing up:

(in no particular order)

Veruca Salt - Volcano Girls

I was a fan of "Seether". That video is also awesome. But when Eight Arms to Hold You came out, I lost my shit. Seriously, "Volcano Girls" is such a ripping song. I wanted to BE Nina Gordan in 8th grade. They definitely influenced a lot of what I listened too in the next few years.

PJ Harvey - Down By the Water

I was a casual PJ listener at this point, not really knowing her earlier albums. But this song/video is what turned me into a fan. All I can say is that this video scared the crap out of me...and I loved it. This song is so f'ing haunting and cool. And look at her! So amazing, I'm almost peeing myself just watching it again.

Hole - Doll Parts

"I want to be the girl with the most cake, i love him so much it just turns to hate". Oh Courtney. You are one bat shit crazy celebrity but your music will always redeem you.

Garbage - Queer

Shirley, Shirley, Shirley. I wanted to wear your a-line dresses and have your perfect smokey eyes and smeared lipstick, but I was never that cool. I was wearing skater polo shirts and adidas and pulling my hair back with matching baby barrettes and ordering from Deliah's in high school. I still yearn to be as cool as you.

Juliana Hatfield - My Sister

I'm actually still a huge Juliana fan. My favorite part of this song is when she sings about going to a Violent Femmes concert. I was also a Violent Femmes fan, via My So Called Life. Remember that episode where Angela danced around to "Blister In the Sun "? I'm not embarrassed. That show pretty defined my life freshman year. I lived and breathed it.

Breeders - Cannonball

Kim Deal. 'Nuff said.

There's so many girls to choose from. That's just a sampling of ladies I adore.

1 comment:

andrea jean said...

YES! Love all of these, although back then I was mostly a Hole fan. Veruca Salt's video for "Shutterbug" is awesome, too.