Saturday, December 12, 2009

Do they know it's Christmas? Probably not. And does it ever snow in Africa?

Okay, let's take a break from the made for tv movies, and talk about Christmas.
Specifically, Christmas songs.
More importantly the 1983 classic, "Do They Know It's Christmas".

This, might be one of the most amazing and hilarious videos and songs of all time. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE THIS SONG. When Boy George starts belting it out, my childhood heart swoons.

But let's get serious. It's sort of ridiculous.



Who the hell is singing first? I'm sorry, I have no idea. And I'm too lazy to research it. There goes my girl (man), Boy George. And poor Sting, he only gets to sing back up to Simon Le Bon and Bono. He looks really sad about it.

I also kind of want Phil Collin's sweater vest.

And the douchebags playing guitar? Is there even guitar in this song? It sounds like a lot of awesome drumming, some synths and a few bells. I'm sure there's some guitar in there somewhere, but there's really no need to act like you're ripping a huge solo John Taylor from Duran Duran.

My biggest beef with this Christmas classic, is why are there no lead girl parts? I mean, they brought in Jody Watley and the girls from Bananarama for the ending chorus, but they weren't good enough to sing lead? Band Aid is such a sausage fest.




3 comments:

andrea jean said...

Agreed on the sausage factor! I noted the same. Also, I find Sting very attractive in this video. Maybe in that era of his life in general.

Sadako said...

Ooh, the nostalgia! It burns! in a good way. :D

Jen said...

Sting is incredibly adorable in this video. Why did he get so creepy as he got older? All the tantric sex talk and weird world music influenced crap? Probably.