Monday, December 7, 2009

The Best of Made For Tv Movies Part 1

Okay seriously. How amazing were made for TV Movies in the 90's? I lived for this shit. A Made For TV movie pre-empted anything else I was interested in watching, and I would kick my little sisters and brother out of the room, just so I could indulge in the over dramatic, "ripped from the headlines" stories, starring actresses and actors from my favorite teen shows. They show a lot of these on Lifetime now, although most were made as a week night special by the big networks. Let's recap a few:
(I would also like to state that I don't find murder, domestic abuse, or eating disorders particularly funny, but these movies *are* so snarkable)

Death Of A Cheerleader

Otherwise known as, Kelly from Life Goes On stabs the shit out of Tori Spelling in a jealous cheerleading rage. Epic. The person who uploaded this video on You Tube wouldn't let me embed it, but here's a link:
You Tube:Death of A Cheerleader

No One Would Tell

Oh Candace. You grew up on Full House, playing our beloved DJ, and then went on to star in a string of bad tv movies, always playing the victim. Fred Savage plays a crazy, jealous boyfriend who stabs DJ (sorry, Candace) to death. That's two, count 'em two, movies about crazy people stabbing people they're jealous of. This one still scares the crap out of me. I will never watch Wonder Years in the same way again.

A Secret Between Friends

Holy anorexia, batman! Eating disorders were a huge topic in made for tv movies. And to be honest, I feel like a lot of these were more enabling than helpful. This one stars a young Marley Shelton, as she and her best friend encourage each other to lose weight in unhealthy ways until one of them is killed. I remember liking it because it took place in Seattle. Doesn't take much to please me.

another ED movie:

Perfect Body

Pink Power Ranger!

Friends 'Til The End

Shannen Doherty. Singing. That's all you really need to know. Okay there's a lot more you need to know. Like there's this crazy girl who wants to be just like her and has since childhood, and manipulates her into letting her join her band, her sorority and then crazy girl steals her boyfriend and basically her life. They showed this one on VH1 a lot. I loved it, I'm not sure why.



2 comments:

Sadako said...

A Secret Between Friends was my first lifetime movie! And the first movie I ever saw about anorexia. (Though the first book I read was...Jessi and the Awful Secret.)

Thanks for taking me back. Ah, twisted youth.

andrea jean said...

I loved that cheerleader one. Another good Lifetime movie, also starring Tori Spelling, was "Mother May I Sleep With Danger?"