Thursday, January 14, 2010

Boys that gave me that "tingly" feeling

My boyfriend is not going to love this post.

But ooh, I've been working up a list of hot boys I was in love with in the 90's. The dreamboats. The bad boys. The ones who made me feel like a grown woman.

Let's start with one of my faves:
Brad Renfro

I had an abnormally huge crush on Brad Renfro. He starred in such movies as The Client, The Cure, and Tom and Huck. He went on to do more serious acting in late teens, twenties before passing away. I am beyond embarrassed to tell you that I saw Tom and Huck in the theater. MULTIPLE TIMES. And I would "wooo" at the screen when his name came across in the opening credits. I mean it's ok, I lived in Olympia and was 13 and hadn't discovered riot grrrl yet. Right?

on to:
Jonathan Brandis

Wait. I just realized the first two actors I've listed are now dead. That's pretty morbid and sad. But Jonathan Brandis! Oh be still my tweenage heart. Ladybugs. That's all I need to say right? Cross dressing soccer players made me swoon. One year I dressed up as Jonathan Brandis from Ladybugs for Halloween. You can understand how confusing that was to be a girl dressing up as a boy who was dressing up as a girl. Whatever, it was awesome. Also, I'd like to add that I crushed out on him in Seaquest. But that dumb dolphin!

Andrew Keegan

Let me preface this by saying that by the time he did 10 Things I Hate About You (which I adore), I was over my childish infatuation with him. I was a full on Keegan fan after seeing Camp Nowhere. Oh lord, I still find that film totally enjoyable. Did anyone else see that? I used to quote it incessantly.

Christian Bale

(I hate that when I googled pictures of him, mostly what came up with stuff from American Psycho. Yikes)
Oh Christian. You're still marginally attractive, but in my head you will always be selling papes in Newsies or swapping spit with Winona Ryder in Little Women. What a dreamboat.

Leonardo DiCaprio

I, along with millions of other girls, went through a huge Leonardo faze. I thought he was adorable in Growing Pains. I loved What's Eating Gilbert Grape, The Basketball Diaries and The Quick and the Dead. Then Romeo and Juliet came out and the shit hit the fan. I thought he was the most beautiful man on the planet. He was just the ultimate. By the time Titanic came out, I had sort of grown out of my crazy crush, and now I don't really find him attractive at all, but he is an amazing actor. I just watched Revolutionary Road the other night and it was heart wrenchingly good.

I know there's more, but I'll leave it at that for now. I don't want to give you too much eye candy!

6 comments:

Lorelai said...

New to your blog, but I had to comment on this because your list and my list would be extremely similar! I'd have swapped Andrew Keegan for Heath Ledger (keeping it in the 10 Things I Hate About You family), but I'm still not over my schoolgirl crush on Leo!

andrea jean said...

OK, first -- Brad Renfro. I thought he was so f-ing hot in The Client. I'm guessing he was about 11 when it was shot, and I was 13 when it came out. Still. What a bad boy.

Jonathan Brandis in Ladybugs, yes!

Andrew Keegan, eh, not for me.

Christian Bale in Little Women -- definitely. I was SO MAD at Jo every time she rejected him. (I mean, every time I watched it and she rejected him.)

As for Leo, I think 1/2 the girls in my grade went to see Romeo & Juliet in the theater the night it came out. There was gasping and swooning involved.

Freckles said...

Maybe this will speak to your 1990s self (couldn't make it clicky, sorry):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY4-70FQRow

And you don't like American Psycho? But Christian does crazy so good!

Amber said...

I love your use of the word "papes."

And Jonathan Brandis was my number one crush for sooooo long. I wish I could've seen your Halloween costume!

Calico Drive said...

If you add Joshua Jackson circa The Mighty Ducks, you've got my bedroom wall, 1994.

nikki said...

Jonathan Brandis is totally how I pictured Logan Bruno.