Friday, November 13, 2009

First post

So I've moved into Blogger, because I've hated the way Wordpress is set up, which has then equaled no postings from me. And I swear I have interesting things to say! Feel free to check out my old site and get a rehashing of what I do:

http://iwantyoursass.wordpress.com

Perhaps I'll start this blog with my overwhelming, and slightly new, love of the holidays. It feels like the older I get, the more I miss my family (who are only an hour away to be honest), and the more important things like the holidays become. Also I am a nostalgia junkie, and there's just something satisfying about watching Peanuts specials, cooking and baking holiday treats and carving pumpkins to resemble Domo:




Have I expressed my intense love of Domo? He was the Target Halloween mascot last year and I kind of dropped the ball on acquiring mass Domo merch because of a lack of Target near me. (Sidenote: seriously Seattle, get with it. The closest Target is 20 minutes away on the freeway, which can equal 40 minutes in bad traffic.)
I bemoaned my sad Domo-less existence, until 7-11 picked him up as *their* new mascot. I currently have a cute little Domo figurine sitting on my computer speaker, wearing huge Dj headphones and carrying a slurpee. I tore him off a slurpee straw that only cost me 1.99. He's so cute! It's also fun to use Domo as an exclamation when excited about something. Such as:

"I'm so stoked to eat pumpkin pie with whipped cream, DOMO!"

Ok, maybe just between my boyfriend and I, that's funny. That was a serious Domo tangent.

Anyways, I am excited about the holidays. Halloween was pretty great and included lots of pumpkin activity (pumpkin patch, pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, carving pumpkins, you get the picture), a viewing of the greatest Halloween Disney movie starring Bette Midler EVER: Hocus Pocus, gorging on tiny butterfingers and admiring the pretty fall leaves that will soon gunk up all the storm drains and flood our city.

I'm excited for Thanksgiving, mostly because it's the first time in 3 years that I'll actually have it off! (I work in a 365 day a year record store, which means I never have holidays off). Turkey and mashed potatoes and cranberries and pie and perhaps hanging out with my sisters and shopping the next day. Le sigh...it sounds lovely.

5 comments:

andrea jean said...

Ack -- I remember the hassle of getting to Target in Seattle. I didn't have a car, so I used to make my boyfriend take the bus from Capitol Hill with me. QUITE a trip!

Also, I didn't know you aspired to be a school librarian. Me too! I'm going to start my "field study" (aka student teaching) in the spring.

Welcome to blogger!

Jen said...

Andrea, you're so far ahead of me! I've been taking night classes at the community college level, just trying to get my AA, so I can transfere to UW.

That's really awesome that you are going for the same thing! I've been hemming and hawing over teaching or library science, and finally realized that what I really want is just teach kids about books/media.

I'd love to be kept updated on how that's going for you. It'd be interesting to have your perspective on it.

andrea jean said...

Did you know I've been writing a zine all about it? I can send you copies if you want. Anyway, I'm really excited by thinking that by this time next year I could be a librarian (if anyone will hire me)! So even though it might seem far away for you, keep at it :)

Jen said...

yes, yes, I want a zine! What a cool idea. Color me impressed Ms. Andrea.

Sadako said...

Welcome back to blgoger! Nice blog!